Friday 18 April 2008

Savonarola's Chair



On Thursday I lost my drivers licence. Yes my long criminal career is over, I have been brought to justice at last and the full force of the law has been brought to bear, New Zealand is now a safer place thanks to the vigilance of the Police and the efficiency of the Justice Department...

Let my personal tragedy be a lesson to you dear reader: next time you are in your favourite bar enjoying some down time and you chance upon some playful and light, amusing pseudo philosophical conversation with warm hearted people enjoying just being well just don't! No No No don't do it! Don't give in to the temptation to linger longer on a hot sunny afternoon and have another beer and then another and yet another while flowing with the feeling of the futile and yet pleasantly companionable amusing wonder of this unfathomable life...

Ha! you will do exactly whatever you want to do won't you?

And I wouldn't have it any other way..

I chanced upon a friend while crossing the road from Woolworths with my flimsy plastic bag of fruit and milk on my walk back from the Courthouse and got my first ride home.
And you might think me churlish but I have to say that by the time I'd made Alison two coffees and a lunch of avocado and cherry tomato on toast and she's scabbed three cigarettes out of my tobacco stash (she's trying to give up..) I swear it would have been cheaper to get a taxi. Cyril charges $6 for a ride to or from town and often lets me off for five (he is a sweetie), well Alison is a sweetie too, shit ain't we all?

Friday I started the day by reading a book on Florence that my lovely wandering ex wife had left me on one of her sojourns back in New Zealand from wandering the world and I happened upon a photograph of Savonarola's chair.

Such a beautiful design Savonarola's chair and talk about bonfire of the vanities Trevor! How it is that Savonarola should encourage the good folk of Florence to burn all their lovely things while he himself sits in such a cleverly complicated yet subtly elegant chair is just..just.. just inspiring is what it is Yes! a painting of Savonarola's chair is in our future folks ( I say our because you will be seeing it displayed on this blog one fine day )
The curve of the frame/legs of Savonarola's chair is reminiscent of the curve of licking flames.
Inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Savonarola! How your mind does roam. Remind me to show you our version of Savonarola's chair the next time you're at our house.

    ReplyDelete